“Transitions into care” series. Care homes: what to consider
This ‘Transitions into care’ series explores the decision to move a friend or family member with dementia into a care home.
Led by registered health and care professionals, these online sessions support carers through this difficult life event. Our team of experts help family carers to feel as prepared and supported as possible during this time. There will be time to connect with other carers as well as the professionals in a supportive and protected environment.
How long are the sessions?
This course is delivered by our team of experts and runs over four weeks with a 1 hour 45 minute session on zoom each week. Each session will build upon the week before and booking is for attendance at all four sessions.
Why join these sessions?
Many people living with dementia stay at home with support from a family carer. However, the needs of the person with dementia become more complex. For many a care home may be eventually be needed.
This is often an extremely difficult decision for people to make at a point in their lives when they are particularly vulnerable.
NHS consumer research found that there is often very little prior consideration of care needs and options by prospective residents, their representatives and their families.
Frequently, decisions on care are faced for the first time following a sudden illness, injury or loss of a carer, meaning they are often made with urgency under extremely distressing circumstances.
The course is for you if you would like to …
- Know more about the types of residential and nursing care available.
- Consider what would be important to you and the person you care for should a care home be needed in the future.
- Discuss concerns and gain information which can help clarify how decisions to move into care can be made and how you might go about choosing the right care home.
- Gain support and advice on how to look after yourself and the complex emotional feelings that are often experienced.
- Gain advice and guidance on supporting a person and yourself in a transition to a care home.
- Discuss ways to make the most of a new and different caring role and how to look after yourself.
Our courses for family carers are designed specifically for family and friends of people with dementia however we do understand that sometimes attending as a professional can be useful. It will enable you to recommend our courses to family and friends of people with dementia that you support, and to find out more about how carers feel about the issues that they face with different types of dementia. There is a cost associated with attending our courses as a professional, get in touch to find out more – 020 3096 7894 – email@example.com