Things to consider when choosing a care home
This ‘Transitions into care’ all day session explores the decision to move a friend or family member with dementia into a care home.
Led by registered health and care professionals, these face to face sessions support carers through this difficult life event. Our team of experts help family carers to feel as prepared and supported as possible during this time. There will be time to connect with other carers as well as the professionals in a supportive and protected environment.
Why join this session?
Many people living with dementia stay at home with support from a family carer. However, the needs of the person with dementia become more complex. For many a care home may be eventually be needed.
This is often an extremely difficult decision for people to make at a point in their lives when they are particularly vulnerable.
NHS consumer research found that there is often very little prior consideration of care needs and options by prospective residents, their representatives and their families.
Frequently, decisions on care are faced for the first time following a sudden illness, injury or loss of a carer, meaning they are often made with urgency under extremely distressing circumstances.
This session is for you if you would like to …
- Know more about the types of residential and nursing care available.
- Consider what would be important to you and the person you care for should a care home be needed in the future.
- Discuss concerns and gain information which can help clarify how decisions to move into care can be made and how you might go about choosing the right care home.
- Gain support and advice on how to look after yourself and the complex emotional feelings that are often experienced.
- Gain advice and guidance on supporting a person and yourself in a transition to a care home.
- Discuss ways to make the most of a new and different caring role and how to look after yourself.
A breakdown of the day
09:30–11:15: Introduction; Structure of care homes and funding considerations
11:30–13:00: Standards and what would make a ‘good care home’ for the person you support
13:45–15:00: Guilt grief and role transitions
15:15-16:30: Making the most of your visits and looking after yourself