Spotlight on eating and drinking
This live online session looks at the normal processes of swallowing and considers how dementia may impact on this and also on the wider skills of eating, drinking, and preparing meals. A range of strategies are explored to help the carer manage these situations.
As well as providing information and knowledge it also allows carers the opportunity to share or discuss their own experiences or current challenges.
This session is for you if you would like to:
- gain a basic understanding of a normal swallowing process
- learn how dementia can affect swallowing, eating, drinking and food preparation
- have an awareness of the signs of a swallowing problem
- understand the risks of poor food and fluid intake
- explore strategies to help maximise swallow safety and encourage participation in cooking, eating and drinking
- understand importance of oral hygiene
- know where to go for help