Jump to section…

Here are some useful sources of information, help and support for people living with dementia and their families and friends.

These links lead to other organisations’ websites and resources. They are not managed by Dementia Carers Count, so we can’t take any responsibility for what they say. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, please contact us and we’ll do our best to help.

Carers UK BAME Carers Forum

Our partners

Dementia Carers Count are supported by a number of organisations who would like to offer some of their products or services to dementia carers.

Regional support – Cambridgeshire

Regional support – Hereford and Worcester

Regional supportWales

Regional support – West Yorkshire

For employers

If you want to ensure that you’re doing the best you can for those in your workforce who care for someone with dementia, we can assist you. We will be happy to advise on how you could help your employees to attend our courses. Get in touch with us:

Resources for employers

Employers for Carers also offers practical advice and support for employers seeking to develop carer friendly policy and practice and retain skilled workers.

“Carer Confident” was launched by Employers for Carers at their 10th Anniversary event.  Carer Confident is a benchmarking scheme which supports employers to build a positive and inclusive workplace for staff who are, or will become, carers and to make the most of the talents that carers can bring to the workforce.

Read more about the juggling act that is working while caring for a family member with dementia


Jump to section…

About Dementia Carers Count



Course Eligibility



Course content, structure and benefits







There are various sources of funding for you which may be worth investigating.  Everyone’s situation is different and we cannot guarantee the outcome of any of the suggested routes set out below, however, if you know what to ask for then it is worth a try.   This sort of funding is not “income” when calculating benefits or tax.

Local Authority carers’ assessments

Local Authorities have a duty to provide an assessment of a carer’s needs and to ensure that eligible needs are met.  You may find an assessment useful as it is a chance to think about your own needs and to be put in touch with appropriate local services and resources.

Carers’ Assessments do not assess “how good a carer you are”. What they should do is look at how caring affects your physical and mental health, and if there is a significant impact on your well-being in areas such as being able to work, maintain personal relationships, care for other family members and take part in leisure activities, volunteering and training.

You do not need to live with the person you care for in order to have an assessment, and the person you care for does not need to have their own assessment in order for you to get a carer’s assessment.

There are slight differences in process between the 4 countries as follows:


What to ask for

Carer’s Assessment

Who to ask for

Local Council Adult Social Care Dept


What to ask for

Carer’s Needs Assessment

Who to ask for

Local Council Social Services Dept


What to ask for

Adult Carer Support Plan

Who to ask for

Local Council Social Work Dept

Northern Ireland

What to ask for

Adult Carer Support Plan

Who to ask for

Local Council Social Work Dept

If you are assessed as having eligible needs, the Local Authority will draw up a support plan with you to set out how those needs will be met.  Sometimes the needs will be met by funding a service for the carer if it would support the carer’s mental health and reduce stress by enabling the carer to care more confidently. The Local Authority will look for the most cost-effective way to meet a need, but it should consider the individual needs and circumstances of each carer.  This funding is often in the form of a Carer’s Direct Payment, which is sometimes referred to as a Personal Budget or as “self-directed support”. There is no charge or means-test for this in Scotland; in the rest of Great Britain, Local Authorities have the power to charge for it but most choose not to charge.

Grant-giving bodies

There are many trusts and charities which can give one-off grants to pay for a course or a service. This usually involves an element of financial assessment. Some trades and professions have their own benevolent funds for current or former workers or their dependents and there are many local and regional trusts set up to benefit people in particular geographical areas.

You can do an individual search for appropriate grant givers at Turn2Us.

You might get suggestions of local and national grant givers from a social or health care professional, Carers Centre, Citizens Advice Bureau or other local advice agency. Ogilvie Charities and the Talisman Charitable Trust will accept applications from a health or social care professional on behalf of carers.

The Respite Association can sometimes pay for replacement care for the person you support if you need to go away.

Carers Trust grants

The Carers Trust gives grants of up to £300 for things which will support carers in their caring role, including training and education.  You cannot apply directly for this yourself, but your local Carers Trust Network Partner (Carers Centre or Crossroads Care Scheme) can make an application for you.

More resources and support

Dementia facts & stats


families in the UK care for people with dementia.


of family carers provide over 100 hours of care per week


Unpaid carers provide care to a value of £13.9bn per year

Join the community

Sign up for our newsletter for updates about free events and learning courses. We will also share information that will help you in your caring role.