People who attend our courses have told us that one area that is a great test for them is aggression, agitation and/or anxiety from the person they care for. On this one-day course, our healthcare professionals will support you to understand the thoughts and feelings a person with dementia may be experiencing which lead to these behaviours. You will be provided with the opportunity to consider practical ways of identifying and managing the needs of the person you care for which can help to reduce these challenging responses.
This course is for you if:
- you would like to understand the thoughts and feelings a person with dementia may be experiencing which lead to these behaviours
- you want to learn about the lasting consequences for both you and the person with dementia even after an episode of aggression, agitation or anxiety has passed
- you want to explore practical ways of identifying and managing the needs of the person you care for which may help to reduce these challenging responses
- you want to discuss ways to manage your own emotions to the situation
- you wish to learn strategies to enable you to respond calmly and appropriately
- you want to feel supported with the feelings you may experience after an episode and maintain the health and well-being of yourself and the person you care for
- you want to explore ways families and friends can help each other to feel less overwhelmed and more supported in the long term
- you would like your questions around managing agitation and behaviours that challenge addressed in a safe, supportive environment by healthcare professionals with experience of supporting people with dementia and their families
- you want meet other people who are supporting a friend or family member with dementia in a similar situation to you own
What will happen on the day
9.45-10.00 Arrival and refreshments
10.00-10.30 Welcome, hopes for the day
10.30-11.45 Morning session
12.30-13.15 Pre-lunch session
14.00-15.00 Afternoon session
15.15-16.00 Looking after yourself
16.00-16.20 Where are you now?
16.20-16.30 Questions and resolutions
Please note that our team recommend that you attend all sessions of this one-day course. Every element of the programme has been researched and planned and arriving late or leaving early will affect the benefits of the course for you and other attendees. If you are unable to attend all sessions, our team will work with you to find an alternative date that works better for you.
As a charity we do not make a profit. It costs us £125 per person to deliver our one-day courses, including lunch. Therefore, we invite course participants (or their employers) to donate to the charity on completion of the course, if they are able to. All donations, big or small, make such a difference. You can also donate using the donate button at the top right corner of this web page.