Are you helping to take care of a friend or family member with dementia and finding it hard to stay connected?
This one-day course provides the opportunity to learn more about the communication changes which can take place for a person with dementia. These changes can make it hard to maintain relationships and conversations and can leave you and the person with dementia feeling frustrated and disconnected.
On this course you’ll learn about the communication changes that can take place for a person with dementia, we’ll shares ideas and strategies so you can improve your interactions, and you’ll also have the chance to share experiences and get your questions answered by healthcare professionals.
This course is for you if:
- you are having problems with communicating with your friend or family member living with dementia
- you are experiencing breakdowns in communication and both you and the person you care for are feeling frustrated
- you would like to understand why someone’s communication changes when they have dementia, things you can do to respond to these changes and how you can feel less overwhelmed
- you would like to look at different ways to connect with your friend or family member
- you would like your questions around communication difficulties addressed in a safe, supportive environment by healthcare professionals with experience of supporting people with dementia and their families
- you want meet other people who are supporting a friend or family member with dementia in a similar situation
What will happen on the day
9.45-10.00 Arrival and refreshments
10.00-10.30 Welcome, hopes for the day
10.30-11.00 How and why we communicate?
11.00-11.45 How dementia can affect language and communication
12.30-13.15 Barriers to effective communication
14.00-15.00 Communication strategies
15.15-16.00 Looking after yourself
16.00-16.20 Where are you now?
16.20-16.30 Questions and resolutions
As a charity we do not make a profit. It costs us £125 per person to deliver our one-day courses, including lunch. Therefore, we invite course participants to donate to the charity on completion of the course, if they are able to. All donations, big or small, make such a difference. Donation forms will be provided at our courses. You can also donate using the donate button at the top right corner of this web page.
Please note that our team recommend that you attend all sessions of this one-day course. Every element of the programme has been researched and planned and arriving late or leaving early will affect the benefits of the course for you and other attendees. If you are unable to attend all sessions, our team will work with you to find an alternative date that works better for you.
Please join the waiting list for this course and we’ll send you a course date as soon as possible.