Many people living with dementia stay at home with support from family members and friends. However, the needs of the person with dementia can become more complex and reaching this stage or worrying about reaching it in the future can be a stressful time for all concerned.
Expert care from trained staff can sometimes be provided at home however, when this isn’t possible, the prospect of moving a family member or friend into a care home can feel stressful and be an emotional experience.
This course is practical and empowering. It will provide advice on how decisions to move into residential care can be made, how to choose the right care home, and how to look after your needs and the needs of the person with dementia during the transfer.
This course is for you if:
- you feel your friend or family member living with dementia may benefit from moving to a care home
- you would like your questions around moving your friend or family member to a care home addressed in a safe, supportive environment by healthcare professionals with experience of supporting people with dementia
- you want practical advice on how to make decisions about residential care for the person with dementia
- you would like to learn strategies for looking after your needs as well as the needs of the person with dementia during the move
- you would like to meet other people supporting a friend or family member with dementia in a similar situation
What will happen on the day
9.45-10.00 Arrival and refreshments
10.00-10.30 Welcome, hopes for the day
10.30-11.45 Morning session
12.30-13.15 Pre-lunch session
14.00 – 15.00 Afternoon session
15.15-16.00 Looking after yourself
16.00-16.20 Where are you now?
16.20-30 Questions and resolutions
As a charity we do not make a profit. It costs us £125 per person to deliver our one-day courses, including lunch. Therefore, we invite course participants (or their employers) to donate to the charity on completion of the course, if they are able to. All donations, big or small, make such a difference. Donation forms will be provided at our courses. You can also donate using the donate button at the top right corner of this web page.
Please note that our team recommend that you attend all sessions of this one-day course. Every element of the programme has being researched and planned and arriving late or leaving early will affect the benefits of the course for you and other attendees. If you are unable to attend all sessions, our team will work with you to find an alternative date that works better for you.
Please join the waiting list for this course and we’ll send you a course date as soon as possible.