Are you awake in the middle of the night and can’t get back to sleep? Often our brains are like a washing machine, with thoughts churning round and round, and no solution. Here are five top tips to help you relax this evening.
- Create a calm environment – make sure any lighting is dim, put on some calming music, and try to ensure your temperature is comfortable (not too hot or cold, wrap yourself up in a blanket if you feel chilly).
- Have a hot drink such as herbal tea or hot chocolate (avoid highly caffeinated drinks such as coffee).
- Sit quietly and do some slow deep breaths to calm you down.
- If you’re still not sleepy do something you want to do – read a book you enjoy or watch something you like on TV. You are allowed to have some time just for you.
- Have a bath – keep the water warm but not too hot. Just make sure you don’t fall asleep in the bath!
Finally, remember that you are not alone. Even if it feels like no one understands there are actually 700,000 family carers of people with dementia in the UK alone. You matter, so please be kinder to yourself.
Dr Gemima Fitzgerald
Clinical Psychology Lead